Re: feedback on intellectual rights and ethics

Nov 12, 1997 06:29 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <3.0.3.32.19971112083124.007a8d80@imagiware.com>, Eldon B
Tucker <eldon@theosophy.com> writes
>   Posting something to a mailing list is effectively submitting an
>   article to a magazine. The author has implicitly given copyright
>   to the list to publish the work. That includes the initial posting,
>   the quoting in replies, and the inclusion of the piece in the
>   list archives.

I find it impossible to agree with this proposition, as a mailing list,
by definition, is sent to all the subscribers to that list.  To try to
exercise the kind of control suggested in your complete post would make
an unmoderated mailing list unworkable, as we would all have to
continually ask each other for permission to quote each other when
replying or commenting on postings which are, by intent (so far as
theos-l and ti-l are concerned, I am certain) intended to promote
discussion, comment, and a general openness among all subscribers.

So - for the record - as far as I am concerned, all my postings to
theos-l and ti-l are to be considered as being freely avalable to the
public at large, and may be freely quoted, in whole or in part, as is
also the case with some of my writings on the website below.

Alan