About theory of rhythm

Oct 31, 1997 12:30 PM
by tosaki

Dear subscribers,

I am writing Ph. D thesis about Piet Mondrian (Dutch painter 1872-1944),
especially about his theory of rhythm, at Melbourne University.

He is famous for a theosophist painter and was very much influenced by
theosophist writings, for example, Mme Bravatsky, J. Krishnamurti, M. H.
J. Schoenmaekers (Dutch philosopher and theosophist) and others.

I am tracing Mondrian's theory of rhythm. It is quite unusual one. He
contested that rhythm should occur on no-time and non-repetition basis
and it should be attained by the equilibrated point of two extreme
opposite elements.

So far the phrase I have encounter among theosophist writings concerning
rhythm is Alice A. Bailey's in her book A Treatise on Cosmic Fire (Lucis
Publishing Company, New York, 1925, p. 158): "Rhythm, or the attainment
of the point of perfect balance and of equilibrium."

This concept is quite similar to Mondrian's, but Mondrian wrote about
his theory of art and rhythm from 1917. So he obviously did not read
Bailey's book. Then there is a question: from where he got the idea of
rhythm.

If the theory of rhythm is quite common among theosophist, where can we
find the similar phrases in Mme Bravatsky's or J. Krishnamurti's
writings (or any theosophical writing before 1917) as we see above in
Bailey's book?

If someone  knows this resources about rhythm in writings of those above
mentioned, please let me know. I am living Melbourne City (originally
from Osaka Japan), so I can go to the library of Melbourne Theosophy
Society and reference the resources.

Thank you for your attention.

Fondly,

Eiichi Tosaki