Re: Scholar bashing

Sep 29, 1997 03:46 PM
by A. Safron

----------
> From: ramadoss@eden.com
> To: Multiple recipients of list <theos-l@vnet.net>
> Subject: Re: Scholar bashing
> Date: Monday, September 29, 1997 1:35 PM
>
> At 12:10 PM 9/29/97 -0400, you wrote:
> >Come now, people.  The problem with TSA snobbishness and
> >exclusivity has next to nothing to do with scholars.  Yes,
> >there's a President in the US who was recently described to me
> >as "pompous and pedantic."  But the real membership slide
> >occurred during his predecessor's tenure, not his.  And the
> >International President has no scholarly publications to her
> >credit, but sets the tone of "let the world catch up with us."
>
>     I thought the real slide took place in early 30s soon after
> Krishnamurti's "Truth is a Pathless Land" statement. Correct me if I am wrong.

IMHO, Krishnamurti and the concept of the World Teacher manifesting gave
everyone a focus, sort of like a guru or spiritual leader, that if they worked toward,
they would be given initiations, knowledge, enlightenment, peace, etc.  When
K left, they lost their focus and were told to go on their own.  Not many
people can do that.

I also think that that was a time of outlandish behavior and promises of
a World Teacher that were made to the world.  When it fell apart,
TS looked even stranger of an organization than it had in the first place.

The question, seventy years later, is what does TS have to offer that
others don't?  How does it relate to daily life and fit in with the busy
life of the 90's?  The wisdom will always there, but maybe it needs a new
package.

I've heard Depak Chopra many times on television and marvel at the
way he's taken yoga concepts that I learned at the feet of my guru, put
on a suit to look like an American businessman, cut his hair and
put it across with that wonderful voice of his.  He is the yogi of today.

A. Safron