Re: Karma and the Victorian Mind

Sep 24, 1997 06:06 PM
by A. Safron

----------
> From: Bart Lidofsky <bartl@sprynet.com>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <theos-l@vnet.net>
> Subject: Re: Karma and the Victorian Mind
> Date: Wednesday, September 24, 1997 12:30 PM
>
> 	At the New York Lodge, we occasionally have public lectures which we
> feel will attract people who, if they knew about Theosophy, would be
> attracted to it, not unlike the way H. P. Blavatsky recruited among the
> Spiritualists. Our local term, coined by Ed Abdill, is
> "glow-in-the-dark" lectures, based on his statement that people want to
> see a lecturer stand on the podium, turn off the lights, and glow in the
> dark.

The sucker must be drinking something awfully powerful.  Gatorade?

>We do require that such lectures at least have a theosophical
> basis, however. For those who wish to give a program that goes farther
> afield,

How far would you like to go?

> but is not against us, we also offer rentals of space (which do
> not go into our public program). For example, this fall we have a
> lecture on "Your Astrological Chart and the Hidden Key to Your Higher
> Self"; not exactly a talk on Theosophy, but those who are interested in
> the concept of a "higher self" have a higher likelihood of being
> attracted to Theosophy than those who are not.

Bart, you ideas of what can and cannot be spoken of at your space in
New York City, sound awfully narrow to me.  In fact, your entire
post smacks of an elitism that probably drives people away in droves.

But I'm sure you'll refute that, most eloquently.

Are you sure you want to have me talk to you again?

A.Safron