Re: Giving & Receiving Karma from Others

Sep 18, 1997 12:52 PM
by Bart Lidofsky

Drpsionic@aol.com wrote:

> First, I don't really believe there is such a thing as karma, so this is,
> from a personal point of view, purely hypothetical, but it would depend on
> the actual mechanism by which karma, if it did exist, would function.

	One of the things I like about the Theosophical Society is the
non-requirement that you believe any of the doctrine. I have recently
found a piece of a Mahatma Letter which I find VERY disturbing
(regarding not everybody on Earth being a member of the same root race),
and if I can't find an interpretation around it, I am just going to
openly say I don't believe it.

> If it functions as a manifestation of etheric energy, then it would be
> simplicity itself to dump it on another person whether that person accepts it
> or not, in fact more fun if they not only don't accept it but have no idea
> where it's coming from.  All that would be needed would be a working
> thoughtform that would grab the incoming karmic energy and transfer it to the
> life fields of the victim.
>
> That's what I would do if I believed in such a thing, but being convinced as
> I am that the idea of Karma was one of those Big Lies created by religious
> dictators to try to control people, I don't spend any time worrying about it.

	I believe that karma was a Big Lie created by religious dictators to
control people. I also believe that the Mahatmas wished to decribe a
fundamental law of the universe, and, having no better term for it, used
the term "karma". The difference between the former and the latter
(IMHO) is that in the former case, if one is the carrier of karma, then
one is not responsible for the karma he gives. In Theosophy, everybody
is repsonsible for their own actions; if you perform an action affecting
a third party, they may be having the karma coming to them, but you also
create your own karma.

	Bart Lidofsky