Re: Perfect universe,heartless ideologues

Sep 17, 1997 08:57 PM
by Titus Roth

"K. Paul Johnson" <pjohnson@leo.vsla.edu> wrote:

> One of the big revelations to me after spending a month and a
> half in India is that the Theosophical claim by HPB and other
> writers-- that if people believed in reincarnation and karma
> they would behave better-- is flapdoodle bullshit.  I saw more total
> indifference to human suffering there in a few weeks than in my
> entire life until then.  And all those indifferent people were
> sure that suffering was what the sufferers had coming to them.
> Maybe Mother Theresa made such a big impact there because she
> ran so much against the grain of the cultural assumptions.

Yes, there is an unfortunate fatalism in India. But don't base your
conclusions on the usefulness of the knowledge of karma and reincarnation on
people who misapply it.  According to that logic, the religions of the world
are totally wrong because most people fail in their practice of it.

> It sure as *hell* ain't perfect here and now.

"Perfect" is being used in two entirely different senses.  A law can function
perfectly (i.e. gravity), but the people who are subject to the law have the
free will to be as imperfect as they wish.