Re: Black Holes

Sep 05, 1997 04:26 PM
by Tim Maroney

>Dennis, I enjoyed your comments on Black Holes. But I
>can't agree with everything (so what else is new? :-) )
>
>A Black Hole takes in matter and gives off radiation and
>heat (at least according to Steven Hawking--personally
>I don't follow all the math).

The Hawking black-hole radiation process is actually not all that
complicated as explained in Scentific American and physics popularizers,
but it involves some unusual entities. In empty space with no energy
there is a constant process of virtual particle/anti-particle pair
formation, including pairs where one virtual particle has a positive
energy and the other negative. Due to the nature of the event horizon,
sometimes it happens that a negative particle that would otherwise be
reabsorbed with its counterpart into nothingness falls in the hole
instead, but its companion does not, with the result that the positive
particle wanders off as radiation. I don't know why this isn't a zero-sum
process but in any case it is now generally agreed by physicists that
black holes radiate, and that they radiate faster the smaller they are. A
big black hole like the one at the center of our galaxy will last for
trillions of years, but ultimately they will all peter out into
radiation, leaving the universe in a classical heat-death state, uniform
and cold everywhere, with no lumps like black holes, stars, planets,
rocks, clouds or people.

>This is my definition of a device
>that converts matter to energy (alias spirit). If they exist,
>then their polar counterparts--White Holes-- must also
>exist. White Holes would give off matter and take in radiation
>and heat, just the opposite of Black Holes. If we allow
>that this is so, then I can't help but see a mighty large
>connection between White Holes and HPB's laya
>centers.

Let's not forget the clear geological connection to Old Faithful, proving
that there must exist in the world geysers and anti-geysers chained
together and spewing not only water but that pure cosmic substance that
is the stuff of the spiritual world. Seriously, I've never understood why
this kind of completely unfounded scientific speculation would have any
appeal outside science fiction. Because such statements deal with
scientific matters but lack any empirical grounding, they are almost
certain to be wrong. Can you explain the appeal In expressing factual
claims of this kind?

--
Tim Maroney    tim@maroney.org    http://www.maroney.org