Masoretes Re: Hebrew Texts

Aug 30, 1997 07:36 PM
by Jaqtarin Samantha Triele

I understand that the point system was developed quite recently, AD500 -
1000, which has always made me quite skeptical as to modern translation.
However, as I said before, I have to use what I have....*sigh*  I figure
that if there is a question behind Yahweh and Jehovah, there could very
possibly be a question behind several other words.

I have access to Strong's Concordance at my local library, and eventually
the time will come when I need to use it, I'm sure.  I agree, they are
both musts!  I feel quite relieved at knowing the definition of a
diglot...at first it sounded like something from Saturday Night Live
(Sniglets).  Bad joke.  Anyhow, thank you for the info and luck wishing.
Perhaps I can speak with you about these matters as an equal in about ten
years...:).

One question, however.  Do you put a lot of faith in the Masoretic Text?
Or have you learned enough to discard the point system?  Just curious.  As
I said, I'm not so sure that the Masoretes scholars were perfect in their
translations... hmmm.

---
Jaqi.