Re: Hebrew Texts

Aug 30, 1997 06:05 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <Pine.LNX.3.95.970830011057.2737B-
100000@ModZer0.dcc.uaf.edu>, Jaqtarin Samantha Triele
<triaism@modzer0.dcc.uaf.edu> writes
>Alan, I almost forgot.  The Bible I have is from The Bible Society in
>Jerusalem as well.  TBS in Israel is what it says, but the pobox is in
>Jerus.
>
>Old Testament text:  Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia, 2nd ed., amend 1977
>NT text: United Bible Societies translation, 1976, rev. 1991.
>
>What is diglot?
>---
>Jaqi.

Side by side comparative texts; in this case translations. My Bible
Society Jerusalem NT is headed on the title page, "The New Covenant,
commonly called The New Testament; Peshitta Aramaic Texr witha Hebrew
Translation. Edited by the Aramaic Scriptures Research Society in
Israel.  The Hebrew has been translated *directly* from the Aramaic
text, so that no other language has been involved.  The only English in
my copy is the Introduction. Part of this states:

"For this diglot we have used the eastern text of the Peshitta, in which
we have followed the oriental sequence of the books, which places the
General Epistles (James, Peter, John and Jude) immediately after the
Acts of the Apostles, and before the Epistles of Paul. The old
manuscripts of the Peshitta did not contain four of the General
Epistles: 2 Peter, 2 John, 3 John and Jude, nor the book of Revelation.
These four Epistles were added to the Peshitta from copies of Syriac
[Aramaic] manuscripts of the revision in A.D. 616 made by Thomas of
Harkel, bishop of Mabog (Hierapolis) ..."

The Syro-Chaldean Church in India (Church of the East) based in Trichur,
Kerala, still uses the Peshitta text minus the above mentioned Epistles
and Revelation, none of which it receives as canonical ...

Have fun!

Alan :-)