Re: The NFC - few comments

Aug 24, 1997 03:57 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <199708240240.UAA04947@mailmx.micron.net>,
kymsmith@micron.net writes and responds

>I work at a "city pound" here in Idaho and in five years we have had two
>NFC's at different times who were abandoned.  Both were adopted.  Later,
>though, one of the individuals who had adopted one of the NFC's brought in
>his other two cats because he had just found out how "valuable" his new cat
>was and he worried that the NFC would be injured during play or a feline
>fight.  We were unable to find homes for these other two cats and we were
>forced to kill them.  People bringing in their animals when they have
>acquired a "more valuable" pet happens to us about three or four times a
>year.  May not seem like much to some. . .
>
>The Humane Society of the United States and People for the Ethical Treatment
>of Animals both agree that the practice of professional breeding contributes
>to the exploitation and overpopulation of animals.

Here in England, the RSPCA (to which I belong) "... advocates that all
animals should be acquired from the place where they were born or from
and RSPCA animal centre (or other reputable rescue organisation)."

>>Only 15% or less of our cats
>>qualify, and my wife Betty is an animal trainer and a tester for our
>>local Pets on Wheels.
>
>Well, since MOST shelter animals won't do and MOST of the NFC's won't do -
>doesn't that make all varieties of animals equal when it comes to being
>trained for the Assisted Living program?

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."
(After George Orwell, ~Animal Farm~).

>My whole point is simply that many breeders and those who purchase from
>breeders (including those who buy from pet stores) are often unaware or in
>denial of how much impact their decision can have in the lives of many
>sentient beings.

RSPCA: "The display od animals in pet shops, pet supermarkets and garden
centres can lead to impulse buying without proper regard for the
responsibilities of animal ownership."

Just a few personal comments.

Alan