Re: The NFC - few comments

Aug 23, 1997 07:40 PM
by kymsmith

Jerry, a few additional comments if I may:

>Statistically its not the reputable breeders who are the problem with
>overpopulation, but rather friendly neighbors who breed Fifi and Spot
>to "see what will happen."  You will find very very few pure bred cats
>at your city pound, and (I hope) no NFCs.

I agree that the main cause of overpopulation is the human neglect of
spaying or neutering animals - however, professional breeders do add to the
problem.

I work at a "city pound" here in Idaho and in five years we have had two
NFC's at different times who were abandoned.  Both were adopted.  Later,
though, one of the individuals who had adopted one of the NFC's brought in
his other two cats because he had just found out how "valuable" his new cat
was and he worried that the NFC would be injured during play or a feline
fight.  We were unable to find homes for these other two cats and we were
forced to kill them.  People bringing in their animals when they have
acquired a "more valuable" pet happens to us about three or four times a
year.  May not seem like much to some. . .

The Humane Society of the United States and People for the Ethical Treatment
of Animals both agree that the practice of professional breeding contributes
to the exploitation and overpopulation of animals.

>I don't know where you got this idea, but the hypoallergenic quality
>of the NFC is natural, and not manmade. I wouldn't know how to do
>generic engineering if I wanted to.

I was told that sometimes it is necessary to carefully "in-breed" NFC's to
keep the line 'pure.'  If I am wrong here, I apologize.

>It costs us $400 to raise an NFC to 12 weeks. So, I do have to
>charge at least $400 just to break even. Yes, there is a hierarchy
>of animals, some costing more than others. This is true for most
>things.

Cats are not things.

>We sell $800-or-more cats to those people with money
>who want something special that they can show off. But, on the
>other hand, at least these people have the money to maintain the
>cat properly once they get it home.

An animal needs love, also.  What will happen to the cat if it is injured or
something since these people only want it for show?  Again, we need to quit
treating animals as things.

>Most of these do not make good animals for these programs. They
>have to pass a rigid test to qualify. Only 15% or less of our cats
>qualify, and my wife Betty is an animal trainer and a tester for our local
>Pets on Wheels.

Well, since MOST shelter animals won't do and MOST of the NFC's won't do -
doesn't that make all varieties of animals equal when it comes to being
trained for the Assisted Living program?

>This is pure opinion. I respect yours, and would expect to see you
>NOT breeding animals. I personally have seen the joy that good
>cats can bring to lonely people and feel that I am doing a service.
>For example, there are customers who have sworn to me that
>their NFC is the only reason they have for going home each day.

I more than agree that there is a powerful human/animal bond - I am the
author of a book coming out in November which addresses just that issue.  I
am thrilled that most of your animals are so dearly loved - that's what it's
all about.  And, along with those who share their lives with NFC's, there
are those who live only for their animals they obtained at a shelter.

My whole point is simply that many breeders and those who purchase from
breeders (including those who buy from pet stores) are often unaware or in
denial of how much impact their decision can have in the lives of many
sentient beings.

Kym