Re: The NFC

Aug 23, 1997 04:59 PM
by Jerry Schueler

>I visited your web page and found the care, comfort, and concern toward
the
>cats admirable.  However, your diligence in breeding these animals does
not
>alleviate the main problem breeders contribute to - the overpopulation of
>animals and the emphasis on animals as commodities.  For every cat you
breed
>- and one does wonder how the "breedee" feels about this - and sell, there
>is one less home available for a "regular run-of-the-mill" animal who
finds
>itself in a shelter, city pound, or homeless.

Statistically its not the reputable breeders who are the problem with
overpopulation, but rather friendly neighbors who breed Fifi and Spot
to "see what will happen."  You will find very very few pure bred cats
at your city pound, and (I hope) no NFCs.

>Manufacturing cats (genetically altering) is certainly risky for the
animal
>as it is the one who suffers physically and mentally for any "mistakes"
>whereas the human suffers a setback to the wallet.  A fair trade-off?
There
>is also the well-known risk of lowering an animal's immune system the more
>"purebred" the animal becomes.  From a "big picture" point of view - is
>making a cat hypoallergenic for those who are allergic to cats worth it?

I don't know where you got this idea, but the hypoallergenic quality
of the NFC is natural, and not manmade. I wouldn't know how to do
generic engineering if I wanted to.

>Selling animals for $400 to $1200 (as you do) caters to a select group of
>people - and creates a "hierarchy" of animals.  Why get a Dodge if you can
>afford a Ferrari?  Unfortunately, this myth is human created - and again,
it
>is the animals that suffer.  And those who purchase animals from breeders
>are half the problem - for there would be no breeders if people weren't
>willing to shell out money.

It costs us $400 to raise an NFC to 12 weeks. So, I do have to
charge at least $400 just to break even. Yes, there is a hierarchy
of animals, some costing more than others. This is true for most
things. We sell $800-or-more cats to those people with money
who want something special that they can show off. But, on the
other hand, at least these people have the money to maintain the
cat properly once they get it home.

>Your web page said you sometimes involve the cats in Assisted Living
>programs - that is very worthwhile - but there is an animal sitting alone
in
>a city pound who would be thrilled and more than able to do the same.

Most of these do not make good animals for these programs. They
have to pass a rigid test to qualify. Only 15% or less of our cats
qualify, and my wife Betty is an animal trainer and a tester for our local
Pets on Wheels.

>We are the guardians of this planet and its inhabitants - the manufacture,
>breeding, and selling of companion animals doesn't sound like the road to
>travel on the way to Compassion.

This is pure opinion. I respect yours, and would expect to see you
NOT breeding animals. I personally have seen the joy that good
cats can bring to lonely people and feel that I am doing a service.
For example, there are customers who have sworn to me that
their NFC is the only reason they have for going home each day.

Jerry S.
Member, TI