Re: Is Theosophy a Religion?

Aug 22, 1997 03:32 PM
by A. Safron

----------
> From: Jerry Schueler <gschueler@netgsi.com>
> Subject: Is Theosophy a Religion?
> Date: Thursday, August 21, 1997 7:02 PM
>
> >The message of Theosophy - on the practical side - is very similiar to
> other
> >philosophies/religions - and it is: to be kind, treat others as you would
> >like to be treated, be compassionate, always recognize the divinity in all
> >of us.
>
> You may be right in what you say here, but I really can't see where
> Theosophy as such comes into play with it.  This is exactly the
> "message" of Christianity, Islam, and virtually every world religion.
> So, what do we need Theosophy for, if its just another religion?
> I see it as something very different. Its message, to me, is to go
> out there are discover Truth yourself. You won't find it in books,
> but you can find it within yourself, if you know how to look.
<snip>

I think it all gets lost in the power plays - who wants to be on top and
who wants to wear the red hat.  Compassion goes the window and
the recognition of divinity is lost in the shape of one's haircut.
How many followers do we have?  How much money did we collect?
How many buildings do we have?  How many women can we keep
servile while we play boss?  How many pieces of land can we grab?
I could go on, but it's all the same lies.

A. Safron

BTW, Bart, I'm talking to you again, for what it's worth and that
ain't probably much.  I never thought it was a big deal not to
reply to you for a while.  I would think you would be glad. :-)