Re: Internet and TS

Aug 20, 1997 06:59 AM
by A. Safron

----------
> From: Bart Lidofsky <bartl@sprynet.com>
> Subject: Re: Internet and TS
> Date: Tuesday, August 19, 1997 8:13 PM
>
> Titus Roth wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 14 Aug 1997 14:47:25 -0400 Bart Lidofsky <bartl@sprynet.com> wrote:
> >
> > > After all, I think it was wrong for Alice Bailey to have been tossed,
> > > and I dislike her intensely).
> >
> > I don't know much of the history of AAB and the TS. Was she kicked out?
> > What happened?
>
> 	Short version: She believed that she was being personally instructed by
> one of the Adepts. Annie Besant did not.

In her autobiography, "The Unfinished Autobiography", it states on pages 173-174 that she was
booted out because of TS political reasons.  This is also a book that could be read as an
interesting  historical view of TS during the days of the 1920-30's.

Personally instructed by the Adepts?  She made no bones about it and she was always
forthwright in her speech.

To whet your appetitie for her autobiography (all of theos-l, that is): she married a clergy
man who she had four children by.  He regularly beat her and threw her down the stairs when
she was pregnant.  Often, he spent all their money, so there was nothing for the household
bills.  When he thankfully left her, she became involved with TS.  Later, she met and married
Foster Bailey.

When one of the Masters asked her to write a book, she had a fit.  She called it psychism and
would have nothing to do with it.  It took quite a bit of coaxing for the Masters to get her
to do it.

Alice was no saint, but a prim and proper English lady who always spoke her mind.  She
believed in a democratic Theosophical Society, as opposed to one that was run by an elite.

A. Safron

BTW, I will respond to any poster on this except Bart.