Re: What practices do Theosophists follow?

Aug 05, 1997 08:44 PM
by ramadoss

At 10:57 PM 8/5/97 -0400, Dr. A.M.Bain wrote:
>In message <33E758D0.1B3F@eden.com>, M K Ramadoss <ramadoss@eden.com>
>writes
>>Hi, here is something from the TSA URL:
>>
>>-----------------------------
>>
>>What practices do Theosophists follow?
>>
>>All members of the Theosophical Society decide
>>what practices and manner of living are appropriate for them,
>>but many Theosophists follow a
>>certain regimen of life that is implied by
>>Theosophical ideas like those above. They meditate
>>regularly, both to gain insight into themselves and
>>as a service to humanity. They are
>>vegetarians and avoid the use of furs or skins for which
>>animals are killed. They do not use
>>alcohol or drugs (except under a doctor's order).
>>They support the rights of all human beings
>>for fair and just treatment, being therefore supporters
>>of women's and minority rights. They
>>respect differences of culture and support intellectual
>>freedom. Theosophists are not asked to
>>accept any opinion or adopt any practice that does
>>not appeal to their inner sense of reason
>>and morality.
>>
>>--------------------------------
>>

>>Any comments?
>
>Yes. Replace "All" with "Some" members of the Theosophical Society.
>>
>Alan
>---------

Wonderful observation. Hope who ever wrote the script for the website would
make the change.

What a change has been brought about in 122 years since founding!

HPB ate meat and perhaps wore fur and leather.
HSO ate meat and perhaps wore fur and leather.
APS ate meat and also drank and perhaps wore fur and leather.
AOH ate meat and also drank and perhaps wore fur and leather.

I don't know if any or all of them meditated regularly.

Were they all wrong or did not understand and practice Theosophy?

Were the Real Founders who selected each one of the above in Their effort to
launch the TS were wrong? Could they not find, vegetarian, meditating,
tee-totalers, who did not wear fur or use leather? They could have found
tens of 1000s in India. Need to think about it. (Hint: There is a mention in
the ML to APS.)

Any newbee visiting the URL may get the wrong impression that TS has a creed
or even a cult. When membership is on a downward trend, the web page may
indeed have a negative effect on potential members.

Just my 2 cents.