Re: Quantum Theosophy

Jul 30, 1997 10:37 PM
by Titus Roth

"Jerry Schueler" <gschueler@netgsi.com> wrote:

> If the cause of any event is known or guessed, then it is not a
> synchronicity.  By definition, a synchronicity only occurs as a
> noncausal event--an event for which no known cause can be found.

I'm positing that there are no noncausal events. The fact that no cause can be
found need not mean there is no cause. Jung called synchronicity acausal
because the events he witnessed could not be related by any imaginable
physical causal chain.  Theosophy talks about laws governing less gross forms
of matter.

Jung was rather practical when it came to his concepts. He coined terms and
introduced philosophical concepts as a practical frame to deal with his
patients problems. He was more than willing to toss them out when he found
something more useful.

> As above so below is true in magic, occultism and theosophy. If
> it is proved that noncausal events happen at the quantum level,
> then it seems reasonable to assume that they can happen as well
> at all levels.  I beieve that they do, and on our everyday level I
> have called them events caused by the Chaos Factor, which is
> to say acausal. In a theosophical sense, they are caused by
> our collective karma--there is no personal karma to cause the
> event.

If they are caused by collective karma, I don't think acausal is a very
good word for them.

>> It seems to me that Quantum Mechanics only does away with
>> determinism as it relates to individual events. The wave function
>> itself that governs probabilities of individual events strictly obeys
>> causality.

> This is equivalent to saying that we can do away with our
> personal karma--which is true enough; its called jivamukta.
> Yes, the wave function is deterministic at the quantum level.
> The "collapse of the wave function" only occurs when the
> event is brought back to our everyday level--when it is
> observed by a human observer.  So we can say that
> collective karma is deterministic at the collective level,
> but is nondeterministic at the individual level. Does this
> really help us to explain why we get bit in the tail at times?
> Well, for one thing, it indicates that we shouldn't blame
> ourselves for everything that happens to us. Part of the
> crap that life dishes out to us simply goes with the
> territory of being human.

If you want to put it that way. We can, however, use the crap as fertilizer.