To Dare & Try

Jul 30, 1997 08:55 AM
by Jerry Schueler

>For most of us like myself -- who are rookies in this matter and perhaps
not
>having taken even 1/100th of a step, even a single step is something to
look
>forward to. I always try to take one step at a time!
>
>......doss

Doss, I have no problem with what you are saying.  We all
have to start somewhere, and ethics is probably the best
first step anyone can take. My problem is with theosophists
who seem to think that this first step is all there is; that
we have to sign up with some guru and undergo trials
and tribulates as a chela in order to go further.  This is not
true.  First obtain ethics, then compasion, and then study
occult laws, etc. and then practice practice practice. Living
gurus are no longer necessary, IMHO.  The whole occult
teaching of DARE and TRY seems to be ignored by today's
theosophists. Am I wrong?

Jerry S.
Member, TI