Open Mind

Jul 28, 1997 08:44 AM
by ramadoss

Here is a quote from a msg I found in theos-talk:
>Eldon Tucker asked for the text of the Golden Stairs found in Blavatsky's ES
>Instructions.  Here it is:
>
>"Behold the truth before you; a clean life, an open mind, a pure heart, an
>eager intellect, an unveiled spiritual perception, a brotherliness for one's
>co-disciple, a readiness to give and receive advice and instruction, a loyal
>sense of duty to the teacher, a willing obedience to the behasts of TRUTH,
>once we have possession of it;  a courageous endurance of personal
>injustice, a brave declaration of principles, a valient defence of those who
>are unjstly attacked, and a constant eye to the ideal of human progression
>and perfection which the secret science (Gupta-Vidya) depicts- these are the
>golden stairs up the steps of which the learner may climb to the temple of
>divine wisdom."
>
>All will notice that Blavatsky calls for  AN OPEN MIND!!!
>
>The if perchance and unhappily the day ever dawns when closed minds greatly
>predominate in the theosophical movement then alas that day will mark the
>beginning of a rapid decline of the TS into well deserved oblivion.
>
>Philip S. Harris

Here is my response, which some may find it interesting.

Well said.

When you have a closed mind, even when Truth -- whatever it is -- stares at
you , you cannot see it.

In my humble opinion, the Theosophical Movement in its present
organizational form with all the properties and money may go into oblivion
surely as it should because a movement which is not furthering the cause of
real search for Truth has no role to play in human affairs.

I personally feel that the Movement as such (sans property and politics)
will continue to affect the minds of people of the world. One of the key
tools is going to be the Internet which is currently the medium with built
in freedom of expression where any kind of control or censor (traditionally
called by the innocuous word *moderate*) by closed minded individuals (and
people with vested interests -- monetary or otherwise) does not work -- it
is too big as well as too difficult to control.

My 2 cents worth.

M K Ramadoss