Re: Hieroglyphic Owl

Jul 22, 1997 01:43 PM
by Wildefire

In a message dated 97-07-21 22:59:14 EDT, Gisele wrote:

>  I didn't know how else to put it; because every way it would have sounded
>  like a big let down. :-)  But, I still feel that there is much work to be
>  done before anyone can read the older hieroglyphics and have confidence in
>  the information contained in them.. so, you never know!  Maybe some deeper
>  meaning will be found.

Hi Gisele,
I just wrote it off as "one of those things" and wasn't "let down" too badly
about it. (Actually, I thought it was a bit humorous as it being a big joke
that my mind played on me.) But, I'm still hoping that a deeper meaning, if
one exists, will be found for it. :-)

(quoting me)

>  >Take the owl, for example. Surely it means more than "in" or "at". (I'm
>  not basing >this on the fact of my personal experience but the potential
>  potency of the symbol.)
>
>  Ok, well since you're unhappy with the traditional Egyptological response,
>  here's another angle which is purely speculation on my part.  The 'game
>  board' glyph is just about always shown with a wavy line under it and
>  together they form a syllable 'Men' which typically means 'understanding'
>  or represents the 'mental' in other languages  like 'mens' =
>  'mind/understanding (Lat), ahmen='he who understands' (Nahuatl), manabu=to
>  learn (Jap), mana = to count (Heb).  Seems to me that the game board
>  implies 'thought' and so this would 'fit' in my opinion (although
>  Egyptologists have not usually translated this syllable in this manner).

I truly like your interpretation of this!!!!!! Whenever I've seen pictures of
the Egyptian game board itself (I think the game was called "senet"?), I've
always wondered if it was a strategy-based game like chess, go, or Pente
which requires thought vs. a game based mainly on chance, a roll of the dice.
Along with your linguistic comparisons, this would support your
interpretation of the glyph if true.

>  Then the 'owl' is also an 'M' and it is found in other words also.  I was
>  told that it was usually colored 'yellow'; the color of 'intelligence' in
>  an aura.  And of course we always say 'wise as an owl'!  So,  if I
>  personally wanted to dig deeper, I'd look in that direction.... One more
>  thing, it was often substituted with a 'headless bird' which perhaps could
>  mean 'non-useage of reason' (?)  So, in those respects, you may be
>  right.... but it sure is a common symbol.  At your suggestion, I will keep
>  my eyes peeled on this 'preposition'. :-)

This makes a lot of sense for all of the reasons you gave. I didn't know,
BTW, that glyphs were depicted in different colors!!!! Has anyone tried to
group them according to color? That could lead to some interesting
explorations! :-)
<friendly snip>

>  >>  Btw, I know someone who has an awesome collection of Egyptian 'djed'
>  >>  pillars which he's trying to determine the symbolism of.  They are at:
>  >>
>  >>  http://www.aa.net/~mwm/phoenix/library/libraryph.html
>  >
<snip of my own remarks>

>  I hope you reserve a few non-artistic thoughts to help interpret this
>  symbol.  There is one really eerie picture of a 'djed pillar' which has
>  'hands' holding up a large clear, elongated globe that has a slitheriing
>  snake in it which kind of reminds me of the 'innards' of a light bulb.
>  However, a similar hieroglyphic symbol seems to be associated with the
word
>  'within', with the word 'Amen', with 'horns' (or the forehead), with the
>  word 'aten' (which is sometimes has a determinative which is a 'face' or
>  portion of a 'face'), and there may even be a far-fetched connection with
>  'Amen' and crystals.  What would your perceptive vision tell you about
that
>  jumble?

I don't think my vision is all that perceptive, but amazingly I found this to
be the most fascinating picture on the site!! Like the person who put the
site together, I too have a background in electronics (was a Navy electronics
technician). In fact, being that you mentioned this, I went back to the site
and am writing this online windowing between that picture and this message.
There appears to be a complete electrical circuit depicted there!!!!!! Part
of it looks suspiciously like a current day electrical insulator or the
schematic depiction of a battery. I think this is the part of the picture
that you said looks like hands holding up that "large clear, elongated globe
that has a slitheriing snake in it which kind of reminds me of the 'innards'
of a light bulb". I don't think those are hands but some sort of support
bracket and it's the structure between those "arms" that reminds me of a
schematic battery or a ceramic insulator. According to Jon Jefferson, who
wrote the accompanying text, the serpents (the wavy line) within the glass
bulbs depict energy (rather than a lightbulb filament). There are also
distinct cables(!) attached to the base of the "bulbs". (Even the entire
picture itself is a sort of electric blue. ;-D) Anyway, it really blew me
away. I have to think more about this and the symbols you said are similar to
it. Verrrry intriguing. This is also an interesting coincidence that I was
babbling something here yesterday about crystals, the piezoelectric effect,
and the consciousness of rocks.  (You mentioned a vaguely possible connection
to the symbol for crystals. ;-D) I'm going to consider all of this further
and will get back to you if I come up with anything interesting.

Lynn