Re: Egyptian/Eastern Wisdom

Jul 19, 1997 01:51 AM
by Gisele

Hi Mark!

>Isn't it neat that you can roll up and carry multiple levels of meaning
>in a cute little doodle?

Yes, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to think too hard. :-)

>My initial response did speak to a rarified philosophy, but the truth is
>that that symbol is extremely multidimensional and applys meaningfully
>to numerous situations and interpretations. It's a wonder of both
>written symbols in general and their equivalents in thought that such
>charges of meaning can be both carried and conveyed by them. The fact
>that the deep psyche in all of us spontaneously produces them is amazing
>to me. I am less familiar with Steiner's understanding, but interested
>nonetheless. Would you care to explain?>.

hmmm... I have about 15 of Steiner's books (on a variety of topics) and
what I found different about his approach, over Blavatsky's for instance,
was that he totally understood, inside out, what he was talking about
whether it was about the components of the ear, the beginning of our solar
system, life after death, anything ... and he would explain, at times,
every little detail - yet, all the while stimulating thought.  So, I'm more
familiar with his 'terminology' than some of the descriptions from Eastern
literature... but I don't recall him ever mentioning this particular symbol.

I know that Cayce mentioned it and I can't remember which book it was in.

>> Would the sun be an appropriate characterization or physical
>> symbol for what you've described?  Would you expect this symbol to be
>> throughout a book said to be dealing with the afterlife?
>
>In theosophy the sun is said to be the body of a Logos. It has indeed
>been considered a symbol for God's presence in the world, as well as a
>symbol for the human spirit. I'd think it right at home in a book
>dealing with the afterlife.

See ...  the term 'logos' is unfamiliar to me, although I've seen it in
gnostic texts.  I don't recall seeing a definition.  I've also wondered
about the Egyptian word for 'god' - 'NTR'.  It seems unrelated to the names
of gods in other languages nearby... seems strange.

>> I'm working on a theory that the Egyptian esoteric wisdom is the same as
>> the one from the East but misinterpreted and mistranslated somewhat.
>
>Again, in the teachings of theosophy, besides the basic tenet that
>"theo-sophia" is one, there is a reputed connection between the
>dispersal of esoteric wisdom into Egypt and parts of the East through
>Atlantis, it's migrations, colonies and those who survived it's
>destruction.

This is the way Steiner described it (although I would love to find a
similar description in Eastern literature):   Before Atlantis sunk, a 'god'
called 'Manu' gathered the more advanced individuals from all over the
world to a secluded spot in Asia.  He educated and initiated them and then
released them to mix with the general population as Teachers of the
Mysteries.  India was the first location to receive its initiates.

I would then think that the Egyptian and Indian wisdom should have common
ground,  yet I think Egyptian wisdom is 'garbled' because of translation
difficulties.

>You are walking in a field of diamonds,

The diamonds in Egypt are pretty rough. :-)

Gisele