Re: The circle with the dot

Jul 18, 1997 07:37 PM
by Mark Kusek

> Gisele wrote:
>
> Thank-you for your comprehensive answer although it seems much more
> complicated than I thought. I'm familiar with Steiner's terminology but
> find it difficult to associate it with what you've described.  Perhaps I
> just need to dwell on it some more.

That's the beauty of symbols.
If you need simplicity from them, it's there.
After all, it's just a circle with a dot in it.

Isn't it neat that you can roll up and carry multiple levels of meaning
in a cute little doodle?

My initial response did speak to a rarified philosophy, but the truth is
that that symbol is extremely multidimensional and applys meaningfully
to numerous situations and interpretations. It's a wonder of both
written symbols in general and their equivalents in thought that such
charges of meaning can be both carried and conveyed by them. The fact
that the deep psyche in all of us spontaneously produces them is amazing
to me. I am less familiar with Steiner's understanding, but interested
nonetheless. Would you care to explain?>.

> Would the sun be an appropriate characterization or physical
> symbol for what you've described?  Would you expect this symbol to be
> throughout a book said to be dealing with the afterlife?

In theosophy the sun is said to be the body of a Logos. It has indeed
been considered a symbol for God's presence in the world, as well as a
symbol for the human spirit. I'd think it right at home in a book
dealing with the afterlife.

> I'm working on a theory that the Egyptian esoteric wisdom is the same as
> the one from the East but misinterpreted and mistranslated somewhat.

Again, in the teachings of theosophy, besides the basic tenet that
"theo-sophia" is one, there is a reputed connection between the
dispersal of esoteric wisdom into Egypt and parts of the East through
Atlantis, it's migrations, colonies and those who survived it's
destruction.

You are walking in a field of diamonds,
Mark
--------