Re: the point in the circle

Jul 16, 1997 10:39 PM
by Tim Maroney

>This symbol (circle with the dot in the center) appears
>very frequently in the Egyptian Book of the Dead and is usually interpreted
>as 'the sun'.

Thanks for the tip. Flipping through the Budge edition I see this is
correct. I hadn't realized the astrological glyph was so old.

>I'm always looking for word associations and have not heard of the word
>'Nuit' before although it appears similar, phonetically, to the Egyptian
>'Nut'.  Any idea if these could have meant the same thing?

It's an Egyptian/French pun. Nuit is the starry night sky and "Nuit" is
the French word for night. Nuit is one of the three divine beings in the
Thelemic trinity, the other two being Hadit (or by modern rendering
Heru-Behuti) and Ra-Hoor-Khuit (Ra-Horakhty). Whoever wrote Crowley's
Book of the Law did have some sense of humor, or at least of wordplay.

--
Tim Maroney    tim@maroney.org    http://www.maroney.org