Re: TS-L?

Jul 16, 1997 07:43 PM
by Bart Lidofsky

ramadoss@eden.com wrote:
> >> Moderated discussion list hosted by the T.S. To subscribe,
> >> write to olcott@theosophia.org. To unsubscribe, send a message
> >
> >       Correct, except that they are misusing (considering the technical
> >knowledge, I would say innocently) the term "moderated". "Edited" is a
> >more correct term, although the editing is minimal.
> >
> >       Bart Lidofsky
>
>     A lot can happen during moderating or editing. Unless we can see pre
> moderated/edited and post moderated/edited material one cannot judge what is
> being done. One wonders about the a need for moderation/editing?

	Moderated means that they choose which posts get passed on to the list.
Edited means that they cut and paste letters, sort of a manual digest
form. The reason for the editing (and I believe Joan) is because they
want to guarantee the privacy of the users (and therefore cut out the
email address unless the user purposefully puts it in the body of the
message). She also cuts out the garbage that far too many posters put at
the end of their messages, so that we don't have to download a 100 line
message to read the one line that the poster added.

	Bart Lidofsky