HPB on Randomness

Jun 22, 1997 12:02 PM
by Tom Robertson

In "The Secret Doctrine," volume 1, page 653, she writes:

"Most certainly chance is "_impossible_."  There is no chance in Nature,
wherein everything is mathematically co-ordinate and mutually related in
its units.  "Chance," says Coleridge, "is but the pseudonym of God (or
Nature), for those particular cases which He does not choose to subscribe
openly with His sign manual."  Replace the word God by that of _Karma_
and it will become an Eastern axiom."

I find this difficult to go along with.  The laws of probability are just
as eternal, inherent, and universal as are the laws of physics.  Flip a
coin 2 million times, and heads will show up approximately a million
times.  I used to see chance as requiring ignorance, regarding
circumstances in the same deterministic way that HPB is here suggesting,
but I don't believe it, anymore.  I see no meaning to random
circumstances and I see no reason to believe in this "synchronicity" that
new agers talk about.  Scientists seem to be drifting in this direction,
also, with their "uncertainty principle," implying that they believe that
they never will eliminate the element of chance from their equations.
Maybe there would be no chance for an omniscient being.  I believe there
would be.