Re: Child abuse

Jun 19, 1997 02:22 PM
by Tom Robertson

On Thu, 19 Jun 1997 16:25:20 -0400 (EDT) kymsmith@micron.net writes:

>The act of striking a child, animal, or adult is abuse.  Therefore,
>spanking children is abuse.  Violence, even in the name of discipline,
>is unacceptable.

That raises the question of where the line should be drawn.  Is any
touching of anyone abuse?  If not, how hard does it have to be to be a
strike?  Unless you are defining "strike" as "any way of touching someone
that is abuse," some clarification of what striking means is necessary to
distinguish it from non-abusive touching.

>A child being hit by an adult - and especially by one
>who claims to love them - is a bewildered and frightened child.
>
>And we wonder why our children are turning on us. . .

Maybe it's because we've spoiled them rotten.