Re: Militias

Jun 08, 1997 00:09 AM
by M K Ramadoss

At 02:15 AM 6/8/97 -0400, Tom Robertson wrote:

>On Sat, 7 Jun 1997 23:21:23 -0400 (EDT) M K Ramadoss <ramadoss@eden.com>
>writes:
>
>>At 08:39 PM 6/7/97 -0400, Dr. A.M.Bain wrote:
>
>>>In message <339937C1.70B683F6@earthlink.net>, >>apriorip@earthlink.net
>writes

>>>Good for what???  Here in the UK all handguns are now illegal except
>>>.22, and they are about to go.  Any other kind of gun needs a
>>>licence, they are hard to get, and storage is strictly controlled.
>>>
>>>We don't miss them.  The police are occasionally armed for special
>>>duties in the public interest.  That's enough.
>>>
>>>Alan
>
>>Here in Texas, USA, last year they passed a law permitting citizens to
>>carry concealed weapons.
>>
>>..........doss
>
>I've heard that Switzerland is a very safe place to live, since everyone
>is forced to have guns.  Maybe England has succeeded in keeping almost
>everyone from having guns, which would have the same result, but the most
>insecure combination is typified by the United States, where there are
>too many criminals with guns and too much gun control, and where the
>worst crime statistics are where there is the most gun control, whereas
>those cities which have followed Switzerland's example have very low
>crime rates.

I am not so sure if there is correlation between gun control and actual
crime using guns.

In India, British practice is followed and legally it is almost impossible
to own a gun. But on the other hand, in the two decades, the situation has
become worse. Illegal ownership of guns is on the rise and so is the
incidence of killing and destruction using homemade bombs. Looks like there
is an epidemic of violence around the world.