The Price of Truth

May 27, 1997 05:09 PM
by Gerald Schueler

>The Dalai Lama will be speaking near the Los Angeles
>area. The charge is $200 for good seats and $100 for seats
>that aren't as good. Can I judge him as wrong for giving
>a program that charges money? Was it unfair that members
>of the local Tibetan group could get the $200 tickets for
>$100, a special offer that was not available to the
>general public?

No and no.  I learned a long time ago that if things are
given away too easily, they are held in contemp (or at
least with small respect).  People only respect what
they have to pay for (money, time, sweat, or
whatever).
Example:  We have had NFCs (Norweign Forest Cats)
that were not selling well for some reason.  We raised
the price, and they were sold almost immediately.  It
is also a fact of life that the people who complain about
their cats the most are those who paid the lowest prices.
Those who have paid the highest prices have never
complained.

Jerry S.
Member, TI