krishna-j

May 26, 1997 03:56 PM
by liesel f. deutsch

Doss says about Krishnamurti's ideas that they are ">an attack on something
one strongly believes in.> and that's why some people are turned off by
Krishnamurti.

I'd like to present you with the idea that Krishnamurti's way is a more
modern way of expressing Theosophical ideas. Not taking any belief for
granted, but examining it thoroughly to find out where it comes from, what
it means, and whether it's actually valid for the individual who's examining
it, is part of theospophical ideology. And even so, after you've adopted a
belief for yourself, the idea is to reexamine it in light of newer learnings
and experiences. It's an ever changing pattern. I think that's what
Krishnamurti says, but he's not the only one. He expresses things in his own
way, but I think his theosophical upbringing shows up in what he talks
about. It dependsd upon whom the individual comprehends the best. Harry Van
Gelder also taught us "don't believe in anything... Question all beliefs. If
you've found something that rings true, adopt is as a theory, temporarily"
etc. etc.
As for myself, I use 2 measuring rods for beliefs. one is the usual good
theosophical one, "does it help evolution, or hinder it? Does it go with the
stream, or against it?" The other is that I like to use beliefs that
contribute something positive to my well being, and other people's well
being, or the universe, whatever is being viewed. My beliefs mustn't hold me
back unnecessarily. This pragmatic way of adopting beliefs grew out of Serge
King's 7th Kahuna principle. "effectiveness is the measure of Truth." If it
works, without hurting anyone, use it. A corollary to this principle is that
different people use different belief systems, and that a good shaman, even
though basically he has his/her own belief system, can operate within lots
of other people's belief systems to help them.
To end with, one must realize that human knowledge and communication depends
on a framework of beliefs. We can coordinate our watches, and thus each
other's schedules, because we all believe that the sun rises on schedule in
the morning and sets on schedule at night. The sun rising and setting is a
belief we've all agreed upon, derived from what we perceive.

Liesel