Re: Thoughts about the Festivals (Sveinn)

May 26, 1997 12:31 PM
by Jim Meier

Hi Sveinn --

Regarding your post of 15 May on the Festivals:

The two points you questioned (of my earlier posting on the Festivals, part
of a thread on Wesak) were

1) > and the lesser festivals of the other nine moons, and
2) > "orthodox" theosophy

Taking the 2nd point first,
I don't disagree with you, but I was trying to write in a style acceptable
to the group readers of theos-l.  Many long-time readers of this listserver
have seen discussions/arguments on "small t. vs. large T,
theosophy/Theosophy," and t/Theosophy when compared/contrasted with
"orthodox, non-orthodox, and neo- theosophy."  That is why I put quotation
maarks around the word.  Some theosophists are so strict on this that they
do not accept anything after HPB's death;  I suspect they are a very small
minority of overall TSA membership, but there have been periods in the last
few years when they had a disproportionate voice on theos-l.  A large group
of our Society does not accept CWLeadbeater's writings, a subset of that
group lumps Annie Besant together with CWL, the split over Krishnamurti
continues . . . and so on.  The teachings on the Festivals are predominantly
from the Bailey writings, and so I chose the wording I did in an attempt to
head off any repeat of some earlier and agitated threads.  But you are
right, imo -- there is only one Ageless Wisdom, even though "the paths to
God are as many as the ways of men," as the Gita says.

Regarding the lesser festivals:
You wrote that the meditation cycles following the moon periods are well
known among theosophists -- I'm not so sure about that.  Ours is such a
diverse group that it naturally segments into folks drawn to study of the
SD, or astrology, or tarot, or "New Age" or . . . whatever, but I haven't
noticed any real emphasis here in the USA about the cycles of the moon among
the rank and file membership.  Is it different in your country?

You also asked about references in the Bailey works about the Winter Solstice:
There is an independently-published book entitled MASTER INDEX OF THE
TIBETAN AND ALICE A. BAILEY BOOKS which does not mention any listing of the
Winter Solstice, per se.  There are *many* references to the significance of
the Cardinal points, etc. in the book ESOTERIC ASTROLOGY, but the Festivals
in context of the Bailey work refers to the creative meditation periods
associated with each full moon and, especially, the three major periods of
Easter, Wesak, and Christ's Festival/World Invocation Day associated with
Aries, Taurus and Gemini.  The remaining nine full moon periods are referred
to as "lesser" only in deference to these three, the spiritual "highpoint"
of the year.  The Winter Solstice is six month's from now, and (again, in
the Bailey works) is associated with the expression and manifestation of the
forces contacted during the period of the three major festivals.  That is
also important as the "horizontal" or physical aspect of the annual work
matching up with the vertical aspect of spiritual contact occurring now.

You ended your post with a  comment that "since there are a number of
different teachings, not all can be right."  I agree; that is why we are
called upon to exercise both discrimination and tolerance, recognizing that
what we know is right *for us* may not be universally applicable.

Jim