Re: Charging Money

May 24, 1997 08:56 PM
by Tom R Robertson

On Sat, 24 May 1997 22:32:38 -0400 (EDT) kymsmith@micron.net writes:

>>> Kym wrote: priviledged

>> Tom wrote: priveleged

>Before we go on. . .let's get something straight.  Privileged is not
>spelled "priviledged" or "priveleged."  And since I caught it first, I
win.

I caught yours even before I wrote mine.  And your last sentence should
have been written:  'Privileged is neither spelled "priviledged" nor
"priveleged.'"  So there.  I'm ahead.

>Hello?  Knock, knock.  Hello?

Is there an echo in here?

>How much money someone has is a rough estimate of society debt to >him
or her?  Ok, how much do we owe Mother Theresa?  Or Jesus?  Or >the
woman who rocks to sleep the abandoned crack-addicted babies?  >Or the
man who mentors for adolescent boys who have no one to turn >to?

I didn't say money is a perfect gauge of society's debt to its owner.
Profit and value are correlated, but only partially.  They also diverge.

>Ok, now, let's talk about the wonderful humanitarian works of Trump,
>Gingrich, Helmsley, Perot, etc. . .gee, nothing's coming to mind.  Any
>ideas?

Don't forget about Seattle's great _Democrat_ hero, Bill Gates.  Has
anyone contributed to society more than he has?

>the spending of money does not signify interest in a cause or >program.
. .

That's exactly what it signifies.  If anyone is unwilling to spend $5 for
a program, that means they weren't very interested in the first place.
It costs me more than $5 just in car expense to get to and from each
program.  If anyone is unable to spend $5 for a program, 1) it is
probably due to not having contributed to society enough, and 2) he or
she isn't turned away, at least by the Seattle lodge.

>>> (Kym wrote) The most priceless of gifts are free.  Charging people
>>> to hear about Theosophy simply cheapens the message.

>>Maybe Quest Books should stop charging for books.

>Pardon, but, Quest Books is not a Lodge, it is a business.

Its purpose is identical.

>There will always be those who can and want to pay for their own >copies
of books, but for those who cannot, copies should be provided >via the
libraries.

The Seattle lodge charges for library membership, too.  We're really
cutthroat.

>KO - you're down, man.  Don't get back up, it'll just get ugly.

Why didn't you say that at the beginning of your message?  It would have
saved me the trouble of spewing forth all of my wisdom.