Re: Long Beach TS Lodge

May 24, 1997 10:46 AM
by Bart Lidofsky

M K Ramadoss wrote:
> Tha't is the way it is done in India in every lodge over 100 years.

	We are not living in India.

	Recently, a Danish woman was arrested in New York City. She had left
her baby in an unattended stroller outside a bar in 50 degree weather
while she was inside having drinks. Apparently, this is common practice
in Denmark, and she did not see any problem. But New York is not
Denmark. We have much more freedom, and the price we pay is to have less
security (Benjamin Franklin once said something on the order of, "Those
who will give up a little freedom for a little security will end up with
neither".) And in New York it IS child abuse to leave children
unattended on the street. And it is considered worse when the motive is
for the parent to have a good time without the "burden" of the child.
Perhaps the police overreacted. But it was better for the child and
mother to be separated for a couple of days, than for the child to have
been stolen.

	If the New York Lodge existed in India, I am certain that, due to the
cultural and economic differences in India, the Lodge wouldn't have any
need to charge money. As it is, the New York Lodge just barely breaks
even.

	Bart Lidofsky