Re: New York special case?

May 23, 1997 09:33 PM
by M K Ramadoss

At 12:02 AM 5/24/97 -0400, K. Paul Johnson wrote:
>Dear Bart et al,
>
>Maybe New York is an exception to the rule in this as in other
>cases.  I doubt that *anything* in Manhattan would conform to
>my expectations of what things should cost.  Which is why I've
>never been there for more than a day at a time.
>
>Pasadena people are so mum about money that you seem to know
>more as a non-member than I do as a member of 17 years.  Had
>heard ULT was well-established but don't know any details.
>Wheaton/Adyar has a larger budget and does more, which I think
>is more relevant than the other groups having more endowment
>income.  (Don't think ULT or Pasadena have anything like the
>Kern Foundation.)
>
>If people up there are used to paying for public lectures then
>maybe it's OK.  Frankly I don't have the cojones to think that
>any of the dozens of TS talks I've given in VA, MD, DC, or NC was
>*worth* paying to hear, although I hope they were worth hearing
>for free.  I'd feel horrible addressing a roomful of people who
>had paid to hear me.  The whole idea just gives me the creeps.
>Whereas talking for free is something I do all the time anyway.
>
>Cheers,
>Paul

I agree with you Paul. I have been to many lectures in TS Lodges where the
lectures, at least for me were so sub standard, that many times I felt that
I should be paid to attend them rather than other way around.

I have been to many lodges in the USA where they don't have much of assets -
real estate and other liquid assets -- and they don't charge anything and
they have always found ways to run the lodges without having to charge.

Of course if any lodge wants to charge, you can always come up with a
justification why there should be a charge.

I am very fortunate in having listened to many lectures of every
International President since C Jinarajadasa without paying a penny as an
admission fee or the so called *suggested* *donation* or the traditional
passing on of a collection basket or tray. I have also listened to other
well known Theosophists and Jiddu Krishnamurti in the same manner. So when a
third rate speaker comes along and there is a program where there is fee,
usually I just attend it as a matter of principle.

My 2 cents worth.