Re: Long Beach TS Lodge

May 22, 1997 11:58 AM
by Tom R Robertson

On Thu, 22 May 1997 10:46:37 -0400 (EDT) M K Ramadoss <ramadoss@eden.com>
writes:
>I just visited the program info of Long Beach TS Lodge. What struck >me
was the following in the program:

>ADMISSION FREE - NO COLLECTION - ALL ARE WELCOME!
>

>At a time when many programs in many lodges directly or indirectly >try
to impose a fee for even members, it is a breath of fresh air to read
>the above.
>
>I don't know how many of you feel about the above issue. But the >above
made my day.

>YMDMV
>
>......doss

Another thing struck me as quite impressive about this lodge recently.  I
was just at national headquarters over the weekend, and I met 3 of their
members.  They told me that they always get at least 60 people to attend
their public lectures.  At the Seattle lodge, where I am a member and
where we ask for a $5 donation, it is rare to get more than 10 or 15
people for our public programs.  I never thought that asking for $5
would make much of a difference, but I can't think of any other reason
why the attendance figures are so different, as the extent to which both
lodges advertise seems to be about the same.  The Long Beach lodge has
lectures, while ours are more discussions.  Maybe that makes a
difference.  Any ideas?