Re: Internet

May 20, 1997 04:59 AM
by Jaqtarin Samantha Triele

>Thoa wrote:
> No imitation can take the place of a real thing.  Something that requires
> the usage of all your senses is ultimately more rewarding than something
> that is limiting your senses.  For example, as much as technology have
> tried to imitate painting (and doing a darn good job!), it could never
> replace the feel of a brush in the hand, the smell of paint, the texture,
> and the usage of the rest of the body in painting.  Same goes for meeting
> people.  You get more information meeting a person face to face rather than
> in a virtual atmosphere.
>
> Thoa

This is all very true.  Even writing with a pen is more sensuous, if I
may, then typing on a keyboard, despite how inefficient writing now is.
However, in the same way that typing (if you've trained sufficiently)
empowers us to almost literally transcribe thought to paper (or monitor),
the internet allows us to expand our senses, so to speak.  We can see
things that we never would have seen without it.  We can see the art of
the Louvre any time we want at a keystroke.  We can communicate with
people on other continents even living below poverty level (as defined by
the American society).  We can download, at very little, if no cost music
from all parts of the world.  Things that we couldn't afford in the past,
which greatly enhance our knowledge of the world and the people within it,
are very easily available to us.  Granted, not everyone can afford a
computer, but even libraries now have internet access.  (However, most
likely not all of them).

This new tool of ours is a wonderful thing indeed.  The problem with the
above is, as we have said, the "experience" is not there.  And as I said
before, many people, particularly my generation, the one before me, and
those that shall follow, will forget and are forgetting about experience.
They have forgotten the slick glide of the paintbrush.  The smooth
vibration of the pen making its way across the paper.  The smell of old
books in the library.  The passion of the human voice flowing from the
open stage.  The true beauty of acoustic strings, soaring in harmony
above and through a mesmerized audience.  All these things are being
replaced.  CD players.  Electrically "enhanced" instruments.  Computers.
The internet.

We are unfortunately going from one extreme to another.  We need to keep
the beauty, and the passion, and the power of experience and mix into our
lives along with the intellectual expansion.

My statements above may make me sound old-fashioned, but that is only
because I am being hypocritical.  I don't do these things.  Sure, I write
letters...about once every six months.  I listen to an orchestra...maybe
once every two years.  I have a CD player, and I admit that the things
which they can do with sounds get more and more awe-inspiring every day.
But even the deepest bass, as far as I am concerned, cannot shake my bones
like the shrill cry of the violin.  I have to say that I am an "unplugged"
type of gal.  (or guy)*snicker*

So...I have now lost my point.  Either that or I have already made it.
I'm not sure which.  Oh yeah, the compromise.  It would be fairly simple
to get the best of both worlds, and to teach the next generation how to do
the same.  I don't think we're so far "ahead" or "behind" that the future
is lost to experience.

Now if you don't mind...I think I'm going to go dig out my guitar...:)

Chow,

Jaqi.