Re: Camels and Needles

May 19, 1997 03:55 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <33806453.130818686@mail>, Bee Brown <dewberry@poboxes.com>
writes
>There is another story I have heard. Back in those days there were
>lots of baddies so all cities had walls round them with a small door
>that was usable by any citizen caught outside the walls after the main
>gates were locked. To get themselves and their camels in they had to
>unload them and then reload them on the other side. This seemed
>symbolic for unloading our unspiritual, material things before gaining
>entry to the safety of the spiritual planes or what ever one may call
>heaven. If one comes to the point where one can unload all
>responsibility for 'things' and 'objects' one can pass through the eye
>of the needle otherwise thought of as the antakarana.

Oh indeed, the point of the story is that the spiritual levels or planes
or worlds cannot be reached if we want to try to carry a lot of baggage
with us as we go in.  My "scholarly bit" was intended to show how
theology shapes translations, and that power structures will retain
errors in order to maintain the staus quo. Imagine the cost of
reprinting all the bibles to correct the blunders of centuries,
especially when lengthy tomes and careers have been built upon
foundations of (sometimes) sand, and not rock ...

<BIG SMILE>

Keep well,

Alan
---------
THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL: Working for a New Age:
http://www.nellie2.demon.co.uk/
E-mail: TI@nellie2.demon.co.uk