Re: Impersonality; Karma

May 17, 1997 09:13 PM
by Jaqtarin Samantha Triele

Has anyone really come to an agreement on what karma really was?  How it
worked through us and around us.  I'll bring back into light my former
ideas, which are still my current ones, particularly after the
observations I have made.

My thought were that Karma was more or less a pool of positives and
negatives.  The more positives there are in the pool, the more positive
the karma; universally.  The more negatives...self explanatory.  Also, and
this was an idea brought to me from someone on this list, I believe.  Each
person has an "attractor" which can be negative or positive, and this
attractor attracts like.  The more negative a person does or feels, the
more negative s/he attracts and likewise with the positive.

On a group level ...from the moment you begin interaction with someone,
you begin observing them.  From those observations come speculations which
occupy our thoughts.  If the person you are talking to, and even trying to
help, has negative thoughts, those thoughts are going to be in your mind,
whether you agree with them or not.  This does not mean that you will
attract the other person's negative karma with the same force, but you
will probably pick up on some of it.  However, once you stop pondering the
negative, which would mean impersonality, the attraction to the negative
karma would float away, leaving you less likely to have negative things
happen to you.  Part of being "theosophical" is being personal.  Our main
objective, really, is to help the people around us.  Being personal could
be looked upon as a sacrifice.  We temporarily sacrifice our own "good"
karma, in order to release the negative aspects from others.  Once we have
helped those whom we have become personal with, our karma returns to what
it was before, for we no longer think of the problems once the problems
are solved.

I will use Christ as an example of my hypothesi, as I have done in the
past.  Christ was a wonderful person.  His acts were good.  His intentions
were good.  And if not for the multitudes of people he wished to help, his
thoughts would have been very positive.  As it was, almost everyone he
came across had problems.  He thought about those problems, fixed them,
and waited two or three seconds for the new one to arise.  He was full of
thoughts on the negative, and therefore, he attracted really awful karma.
He was hated, ridiculed.  On top of that, I'm willing to bet that he
stubbed his toe a lot.  Or his wallet disappeared (just an example, I
doubt he had a wallet).  Or a passing bird would decide that his shoulder
was a good place to mark for defication.(sp?)  The crazy things that
happen to us when we have "bad" karma, probably happened to him too.
Ultimately, he was killed by those he loved.  So my theory is that karma
is not based solely on one's own ideas and perogatives, or their acts, but
on the collective whole.  Even the most impersonal, positive person, I
believe, can stub their toe.

---
Jaqi.