Re: Secrecy - An anecdote

May 15, 1997 11:27 PM
by M K Ramadoss

At 10:06 PM 5/15/97 -0400, Bart Lidofsky wrote:
>M K Ramadoss wrote:
>> indeed discussed in the Board Meeting and a decision taken by the Board. I
>> also requested a copy of the transcript of the meeting discussing the issue
>> and the decision taken so that I can see for myself the details of how and
>> why the decision was taken.
>
>	I am certain that it is not that they wouldn't give you a complete
>transcript; it was that they COULDN'T give you a complete transcript,
>and if you think about what goes into the creation of a complete
>transcript, you can see that it was a ridiculous request.
>
>	Also, at Board Meetings, a lot of discussion of personal matters
>frequently goes on that never enters the minutes. Even if a transcript
>could be made, it would be unethical for them to give you more than the
>minutes.
>
>	Bart Lidofsky

        It is not uncommon that for specific purposes, the relevant portions
of the transcript are extracted and furnished to third parties with a
certification by the Secretary. For example when an organization needs to
open a bank account. This what I have seen in innumerable cases. May be
different organizations do it differently.

        On the other hand some of the publicly funded organizations in
Texas, the boards (by law) are required to meet in open meetings and conduct
business in the open and failing to do so is a criminal offense. The only
exclusion is when dealing with litigation and personnel matters. I am not
saying that every organization should do this. But this just goes to
demonstrate that doing business openly is practical.

        Just thought I should share my experience.

mkr