Mahachohan's letter

May 15, 1997 01:48 PM
by K. Paul Johnson

Following up the discussion between Doss and Titus:

I think there are two separate issues getting combined into one
in this question of the Mahachohan's letter.  First is theory
vs. practice and second is selfishness vs. altruism.  Doss, you
seem to be taking the letter as being against practice, when I
read it as simply being against selfishness.  Olcott is praised
for his work for Buddhism.  Is Buddhism a purely theoretical
religion?  No, it's based on spiritual practices.  Is HPB a
purely theoretical occultist?  Again, no, she's quite renowned
for her practical feats in that domain.  But is praised in the
letter for her altruism, as I recall.  Hume
and Sinnett are condemned for aspiring to be special pupils in
occultism, for being fascinated by magic.  But the problem
isn't that they want to learn something practical; it's that
they lack the proper ethical foundation to do the particular
kinds of practical study they aspire to.