1900 Letter

May 15, 1997 12:45 PM
by M K Ramadoss

I am re-posting this msg in the context of a comment made by Thoa regarding
unnessary secrecy. I hope those in the administration of Theosophical
Organizations have read this and thought over its contents and hopefully
benefit  from the advise in the best future interests of Theosophical
Organizations.

MKR

               THE 1900 LETTER TO ANNIE BESANT

    A psychic and a pranayamist who has got confused by the vagaries of the
members. The T.S. and its members are slowly manufacturing a creed. Says a
Thibetan proverb "credulity breeds credulity and ends in hypocrisy." How few
are they who can know anything about us. Are we to be propitiated and made
idols of. Is the worship of a new Trinity made up of the Blessed M., Upasika
and yourself to take the place of exploded creeds. We ask not for the
worship of ourselves. The disciple should in no way be fettered. Beware of
an Esoteric Popery. The intense desire to see Upasika reincarnate at once
has raised a misleading Mayavic ideation. Upasika has useful work to do on
higher planes and cannot come again so soon. The T.S. must safely be ushered
into the new century.

    You have for some time been under deluding influences. Shun pride,
vanity and love of power. Be not guided by emotion but learn to stand alone.
Be accurate and critical rather than credulous. The mistake of the past in
the old religions must not be glossed over with imaginary explanations. The
E.S.T. must be reformed so as to be as unsectarian and creedless as the T.S.
The rules must be few and simple and acceptable to all. No one has the right
to claim authority over a pupil or his conscience. Ask him not what he
believes. All who are sincere and pure minded must have admittance. The
crest wave of intellectual advancement must be taken hold of and guided into
spirituality. It cannot be forced into beliefs and emotional worship. The
essence of the higher thoughts of the members in their collectivity must
guide all action in the T.S. and E.S. We never try to subject to ourselves
the will of another. At favourable times we let loose elevating influences
which strike various persons in various ways. It is the collective aspect of
many such thoughts that can give the correct note of action. We show no
favours. The best corrective of error is an honest and minded  examination
of all facts subjective and objective. Misleading secrecy has given the
death blow to numerous organizations. The cant about "Masters" must be
silently but firmly put down. Let the devotion and service be to that
Supreme Spirit alone of which one is a part. Namelessly and silently we work
and the continual references to ourselves and the repetition of our names
raises up a confused aura that hinders our work. You will have to leave a
good deal of your emotions and credulity before you become a safe guide
among the influences that will commence to work in the new cycle.
    The T.S. was meant to be the corner-stone of the future religions of
humanity. To accomplish this object those who lead must leave aside their
weak predilections for the forms and ceremonies of any particular creed and
show themselves to be true Theosophists both in inner thoughts and outward
observances. The greatest of your trials is yet to come. We watch over you
but you must put forth all your strength.

                                        K.H.