Re: How vs. Why

May 14, 1997 01:47 PM
by Titus Roth

Thanks for quoting the letter from the Maha Chohan, Doss. As I read it,
however, it looks like a warning against going *exclusively* to the
How side. All too often, truths are taken in a one-sided manner and
out of context. Although I emphasized the How in my post, I did not
mean to be one-sided about it.

For the benefit of discussion, I'll repeat your quote:

"Rather perish the TS with both its hapless founders than that we should
permit it to become *no better* than an academy of magic, a hall of
occultism." (emphasis mine)

"And it is we, the humble disciples of these perfect Lamas, who are expected
to allow the TS to drop its noble title, that of Brotherhood of Humanity, to
become *a simple school of psychology*. No, no, good brothers, you have been
labouring under the mistake too long already."

At the time of the TS, the world had a clouded view of the Why of things.  The
western world at large did not believe in reincarnation. People were taught
that if you were good you would sing with angels after death and play harps;
and if you weren't good, you would live in hell, smelling coal fumes for all
eternity. In the spiritist movement, people were obsessed with gaining
phenomenal powers, ignoring their use and their priority in the scheme of
things. Theosophy did a great service in giving a "theosophic perspective".

Today, the dielectic has polarized again. This time Theosophy has gone
too far to the other pole.

A perspective without steps is lame, steps without direction are blind.