Re: How vs. Why

May 12, 1997 03:08 PM
by Bart Lidofsky

K. Paul Johnson wrote:
> Some Theosophists (more in the Judge branch of the movement and
> among ES members) regard Theosophy alone as a completely
> fulfilling source of spiritual nourishment.  But the majority
> don't, in my observation, combining it with other paths that
> are less topheavy with intellectualism.

	Well, from what I have read and been told, it is not that the ULT
thinks that the primary literature alone is sufficient; it is that they
believe that it is important to disseminate it.

> While the sparseness of the daily-useful aspects of Theosophy
> is not a problem for the individual members, who can get those
> needs met elsewhere, it *is* IMO a real problem for the organizations,
> which tend to an ivory-tower attitude.  One finds it easier to
> care about and get involved in a group that is doing practical
> good works than a group that is entirely theoretical in focus.

	In the New York Lodge, I attempt to slant members' meetings towards
topics that ARE applicable in our daily lives.

	Bart Lidofsky