Re: Camels and Needles

May 11, 1997 05:29 AM
by Jim Meier

>>>"And again I say unto you, it is easier for a camel to go
>>>    through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter
>>>    into the kingdom of God."
>
>Alan responded:
>
>>Scholarly bit: (clip)

The version I was taught: the "Eye of the Needle" was a colloquial
expression, referring to the short archway door in the outer wall of the
Temple.  The purpose of such a short entryway is that it forced every man to
stoop over, or bow, before entering the holy place as a reminder of the
proper place of man before his God.  According to this version, it would
have been *just possible* for a camel to enter through that arch, but it
would have been on its knees.

So the point of the parable becomes, it IS possible for a rich man to join
the brethren of the Kingdom of God, but the process isn't an easy one and it
likely doesn't happen very often.    :)

Jim