Re: Karma

May 03, 1997 10:25 PM
by Titus Roth

On Wed, 30 Apr 1997 23:48:58 -0500 M K Ramadoss <ramadoss@eden.com> wrote:

> This evening when I had some opportunity to ponder over principle or law
> of Karma, I was struck with its complexity, at least from a theoretical
> point of view since I do not have any first hand knowledge as to how
> laws of Karma work.

> The immense complexity is easy to see. For example we interact with our
> families and affect them and are affected by them. Similarly we interact
> with our neighbors, friends, strangers, business associates, teachers,
> students etc etc.

[snip]

> This is just for one individual. When we take into account millions of
> individuals, the fundamental issue for me is one of orchestrating all
> this and keeping track of the "accounting".

An interesting post, Doss. When you look at it that way, the idea of
orchestrating it all does seem rather mind boggling.

> This brought up the possibility. May be in the 3 dimensional world and
> the knowledge we have, the whole thing looks very immense and
> staggering. May be in a higher dimension, one can see how all the
> accounting is going on.

Accounts of NDE (Near Death Experiences) hint that that may be true.  Many
NDE-ers report knowing at an instant their whole life history. "Thinking"
outside our gravity world appears to be holographic, or to misuse and abuse
computer terminology, "massively parallel processing".

As far as what to do in our "box system" (to paraphrase Jung's description of
life in the world after his NDE), we can gain a better perspective on our own
karmas, I think, by cultivating better values. Desiring things that are
trivial or unnecessary complicates our thinking. Holding onto resentments,
looking for scapegoats for our troubles, or thinking on misfortunes as our
"punishment", etc., all make the world look terribly complicated and unfair.
It also distracts us from the soul thread of our life.

Patience is also helps gain a perspective on the bewildering aspects of karma.
Sometimes it's only long after an event that we can fit it into the picture
frame of our lives. More than one wise person has said in their later years
that they would not change one thing in their lives - even their mistakes and
misfortunes.