Karma

May 01, 1997 04:42 AM
by Einar Adalsteinsson & A.S.B.

Einar here.

Into the discussion of karma I thought it might fit here to include some
thoughts of mine sent to a Discussion Forum in connection with the Bridge-L
dicussion list. The forum is on the web with the URL:
http://www.web-wiz.com/scripts/cfml.exe?template=/cfo/confer/threads.dbm&cid=94

Interestingly enough the ususally active  Bridge-L has been unusually quiet
these days as has this list.

As you see I am trying to bring the karma theory down to the level of
everyday psychological experience level, so we can live it's cause-effect
mechanism consciously moment by moment every day of our life. This is the
only way to "burn all karma in the fire of understanding"

I have been waiting for some real discussion on some theosophical topics
where education and a real communion of understanding is the main point,
rather than arguing on trivialities and personal criticism or even mud-throwing.

I hope this will make for some comments from you folks!

 >>" I would like to discuss a little the psychological factor of the idea
of karma. In my opinion E.J. did quite a good job describing the emperical
effects, the interreaction of karma in the external world, and the
interaction between indivduals and groups.

But there is another side to it, the psychological individual side, and I
want to put the following fort as a point for discussion, and not as a
karmic dogma. Sharlene is quit right IMO about the role of intentions, i.e.
the psychological factor, rather than the deeds themselves. It's right that
we are all a part of the whole - or rather we ARE the whole, - we are the
world, each one of us. Individuality (i.e. self awareness) is a result of
the psychological evolution, which is so picturesqly described in the
Biblical "Paradise" parable. Having gained the intelligence of "knowing
right from wrong" - and going against that knowledge, makes the individual
"responsible for his actions. It also invokes the "SIN", which is primarly
an individual condition, but since we are "All One", it's no ones private
matter either.

I look upon karma as a scar on the psyche - and at the same time a dishamony
in the Universal Consciousness. The higher Self (Atman) and the universal
consciousness (Brahman or Divinity) will in cooperation work at compensating
those scars in the psyce and the Universe. In the short term it will
counteract the cause by inflicting a suitable effect on the individual,
which is done continually moment by moment, all our life. In the long run
this will not solve the universal problem of disharmony, individually or
universally. Therefore the most important effect of karmic "retribution" is
the learning element, the education towards the individual wisdom, that
ultimately will "burn all karmic debts in the fire of love and
understanding". This is a "forced" process in life until each individal has
gained enough wisdom to take his/her education in his/her own hands and
thereby enhance the process of learning enomously.

How should we then practically encounter our own karmic debts in our dayly
life? By conscious encounter, forgiveness, understanding, awareness,
self-control, in-attachment, - it is a complicated psychological process.
The main thing is to inhibit the emotional retribution, to disconnect the
cause-effect-cause vicious cicle. This is the "other cheek" psychology of
Jesus Christ. The next important lesson is the psychology of forgiving,
which by the way is about correction in our own psyche, and has very little
to do with the one we forgive.

The doctrine of karma is really not about a lofty philosophical speculations
on universal retributions. Neither is it in any way about fatality or
destained fate. It's about the momentous living, the psychology of momentous
action. Every momemt, we are shaping our future by the way we encounter our
momentous "destiny". Every incident that we meet in our life, shows us what
WE are, and if carefully noticed, that self-knowledge will aid us in our
next encounter, so that slowly our wisdom, which is really a combination of
self-understanding and love, will guide us towards hamonious living in this
world. "<<

Love and light. Einar Adalsteinsson.