Re: TS & Political Correctness

Apr 23, 1997 08:11 PM
by Bart Lidofsky

Dr. A.M.Bain wrote:

> .. time to re-read John Crocker's work on
>
> http://www.nellie2.demon.co.uk/wisdom/JRC/
>
> There is an HTM file and a TXT file version.

	I should clarify that, when I speak of "political correctness", I am
not referring to those labelled "politically correct" by others, but to
those who refer to themselves as "politically correct".

	As far as John Crocker goes, his history is a bit off. When the term
was used by conservative columnists in the late 70's/early '80's, it was
used to refer to a specific form of hypocritical censorship found in
many universities, where derogatory statements against certain
"protected" groups or members thereof were not allowed regardless of
their veracity, while equally derogatory remarks about members of
"unprotected" groups were encouraged, again regardless of their
veracity. One early example was the editor of a student newspaper being
expelled for calling a black professor racist, and backing it up with
quotes from that professor, while another student paper called white
professors racist without bringing forth a shred of evidence, and were
encouraged to do so.

	For some reason, rather than look at the misapplied postmodernist
origins of the term "political correctness", many people started wearing
it as a badge of honor, even knowing that it meant judging truth and
falsehood strictly in terms of political outlook.

	Bart Lidofsky