Operational Definitions

Apr 20, 1997 07:22 PM
by Bart Lidofsky

liesel f. deutsch wrote:

> I agree with you, Bart.
>
> I have a further problem with Theosophy. Theosophists are always talking
> about Reality. Lots of Theosophists. very learned ones, keep on talking
> about Reality. Well, what is it? And whose reality are we talking about?

	An important part of science is the concept of "operational
definitions". Put simply, it means that you can't discover anything
useful unless there is generally agreed upon definition of the topic on
which you are talking.

	An operational definiton of "reality" gets very tricky, as it gets into
the level of axioms. One basic question is whether or not what we detect
with our senses is part of reality. The Primary Literature seems to
state that it is, in fact, one aspect of reality, but certainly not the
whole of reality.

	Bart Lidofsky