Re: On-line Book Ordering

Mar 13, 1997 08:54 AM
by M K Ramadoss

At 08:08 AM 3/13/97 -0500, you wrote:
>ramadoss@eden.com wrote:
>> Discount on-line book ordering is on the horizon. At this time
>> www.amazon.com is the largest on-line book seller and I believe they
>> discount anywhere between 20-30% on hardbacks and best sellers.
>>
>> Barnes & Noble and Borders are about to launch their www on-line ordering.
>> Barnes & Noble is planning to offer 20% or more discount on all books. This
>> would put them on par with such discounters in the US as Book Stop which
>> offer 20% or more.
>>
>> I would be looking forward to the shoot out between these large outfits and
>> we the consumers would be the beneficiaries.
>
>	Will the consumers be the beneficiaries? When the big discounters, with
>their access to better access to new books and bulk discounts, so they
>can sell books at what it costs for the small, specialty bookstores,
>they will drive the small bookstores out of business (just about the
>only esoteric bookstores left in New York City are those which are part
>of a larger organization, such as the Quest Bookshop, Open Center, and
>East/West Books). But the national discounters are much more vunerable
>to attacks by the religious right.
>
>	If this trend succeeds, prepare to find no outlet in which to buy books
>like THE SECRET DOCTRINE or THE MAHATMA LETTERS.
>
>	Bart Lidofsky

I was at the Borders two days ago. I found two sets of SD, one the 3 vol
published by TPH and the other 2 vol by TUP and there were many other books
by both publishers.

I have frequently used a large discounter The Book Stop to buy my books at a
discount of at least 20% which is good even on special order items.

So we will wait and see.

...doss