Re: [Dr. Matrix]

Mar 06, 1997 04:22 PM
by Gregg Bartle

On Thu, 6 Mar 1997 14:43:53 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

>Hi Titus,
>
>You mentioned that when Gardner mentioned his meetings with Dr. Matrix in
>S.A. it was in tongue-in-cheek.However, I didn't read the S.A. articles but
>found the info in his book "The Magic Numbers Of Dr. Matrix" (1985 by
>Prometheus Books) where he actually described his meetings in some detail.
>They appeared quite real to me.
<SNIP the rest>

Sorry, Titus, but Dr. Matrix is a total fabrication of Gardner's. The point,
beyond fascinating mathematical games, is, in fact, to ridicule areas like
numerology. Prometheus Books is the publishing arm of CSICOP (Center for
Scientific Claims Of the Paranormal), the major skeptical, debunking in the
United States as well as publishers of the excellent, if sometimes
infuriating, magazine 'Skeptical Inquirer'.

     Peace to all beings -

     Gregg Bartle, member Theosophy International