Re: THEOS-L digest 934 Rukmini

Mar 05, 1997 05:56 AM
by ramadoss

At 07:43 AM 3/5/97 -0500, you wrote:

>> >Chuck: I am being mis-quoted. That was not mine.
>> >
>> >mkr
>> >
>> >Bellville, 27.2.1997
>> >
>> >I have known Srimati Rukmini Devi for many years and was associated
>> >with her between 1975 and 1984. During that period I visited
>> >Kalakshetra College of Fine Arts in Tiruvanmiyur near Adyar
>> >during half a year and did educational research work. I have
>> >appreciated her great commitment towards the cause of education in
>> >India. As you might know she and Dr. Arundale made it possible for
>> >Maria Montessori to introduce her system of pre-primary education to
>> >South Asia. She also founded Kalakshetra, which was in those days one
>> >of the most reknown institutions for the Bharatanatyan style of
>> >dancing and did a lot in animal welfare work and travelled untill her
>> >death round the world to promote Theosophy.
>> >I came to know her as a down to earth person.
>> >
>> >I know that there were controversies around her person but would
>> >appreciate if these would be dealt with in an impartial and
>> >historically contextualized way. Remarks like reproduced in the above
>> >mentioned quote do not bring us anywhere.
>> >
>> >With kind regards
>> >Jos Koetsier
>> >Member of the TS in Cape Town South Africa
>>

>> Hi, Jos: As I had stated in a post, I was misquoted and Chuck has responded
>> he mistyped.
>>
>> Even though I did not know her personally, while I was a member and an
>> officer of the TS Lodge in Bangalore, India there were several occassions
>> when I had the opportunity to invite her to come and speak at the lodge.
>> Most of the time she was visiting on Kalashetra or Animal Welfare business,
>> and every time she was invited she always squeezed in to come and deliver a
>> lecture. All the lectures were very practically oriented and were much
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Anyone who has an opportunity to visit Madras has just to go and see
>> Kalashetra and then one can appreciate what she did for art and Indian
>> dance. Some time ago it was made a National University. All this was
>> accomplished by her single handedly.
>>
>> I wanted to add my 2 cents worth, as they say in the USA.
>>
>> mkr
>Bellville, 05.03.1997
>
>Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate your response. Could you
>please give me more details about how Kalakshetra was made a National
>University. Did that happen before or after Rukmini died? (1986?)
>
>yours
>
>Jos Koetsier

Kalashetra was made a National University a couple of years ago after
Rukmini's death.  Being made a National University assures a lot of funding
for the school. I think it may be due to the recognition of its role in
Dance and Art in India.

BTW, Rukmini was a legislator (senator) in the upper house of the Indian
Parliament for several years and this was due to her work in Indian Dance
and Animal Welfare.

Also very few outside India can understand the importance placed on the
Bharta Natya -- traditional Indian Dance -- in today's Indian Society. One
has just to note that even in the United States most major cities have one
or more Indian Dance schools. In my own city there are two schools.  My
friend's daughter graduated from one of the schools and the debut was
celebrated at a cost of $25,000.00. Of course the parents could afford such
a price tag and this included treating all of us to a buffet dinner after
the debut.

As they say, let us give the credit where it is due.

mkr