Digest 937

Mar 04, 1997 10:49 PM
by DSArthur

   I can't resist commenting about the suggestion of Kim and Liesel that
prostitution
should be legalized.  That will not happen anytime soon because American
society,
to choose just one example, is far too confused about the issue to make any
kind
of rational decisions with regard to it.  We should keep in mind that this is
a society
that:
           1.  Tolerates tobacco, a proven carcinogen.
           2.  Tolerates alcohol, guaranteed (with heavy and prolonged use)
to damage or
                destroy the liver and kidneys.
           3.  Tolerates violent sports such as boxing (in which the
principle objective is to
                cause sufficient brain damage to produce unconsciousness).
           4.  Will not tolerate prostitution in any form even though (with
strict regulation) it
                doesn't produce any of the above-listed side-effects.  It
seems fair to conclude
                that it would not tolerate it even for individuals who might
volunteer to give up
                all three of the other  "vices."  This is because
consideration of the issue has
                historically been done at an emotional rather than a rational
level.  It will prob-
                ably remain that way for the foreseeable future.

                                                                       Dennis